Saturday, September 10, 2011

It is already Fall!

When I started this blog, I intended to post with some form of regularity -sometimes for fun -other times to serve as a timeline/journal of our new life in TN.  It is approaching two years since our return home to Tennessee and the soon after birth of Eric Colt Barber!  Time really flies when you are renovating a property and raising a young family!  It is the beginning of September, 2011 and I still have several projects to get done before rainy season.  Most importantly, I need to finish repairing and painting the exterior trim and put on new shingles.  When winter arrives here in this part of the country, it rains and stays wet till spring! 

Our house belonged to my grandparents on my father's side.  I estimated that I would have it finished by May of 09'.  It is now September of 2011 and still needs one bedroom, one bathroom, the hallway, roof, exterior paint, and several yard projects to have it up to "maintain only" status.  Let me just say, it has been a ride!  Sometimes I become frustrated and overwhelmed with all of the projects only to have my wife remind me of how bad it really was when we started!  After seeing a few old pictures, I am over all the frustrations.  I guess we really should have torn it down and started from scratch!  Oh well, now we have a sentimental home with lots of character. 

On all the pretty days, I spend my time with a pile of axes, chainsaws, shovels etc... and a tractor.  Over the years, under growth has taken over some of the smaller decorative plantings, old tree stumps etc...  Those of you familiar with this blog will grin at the fact that I am still using "Old Blue", the infamous Romanian tractor, for box blading, discing the garden, pulling stumps, etc....  I usually end up with a sore left quadriceps from mashing the 75 lb clutch pedal that requires me standing to mash, sore shoulders (from no power steering), and an aggravated crick in my neck.  The crick I believe originates from sleeping in a contorted pile of little Barber boys who slip into mommy and daddy's bed during the small hours.  To defend that old tractor, I will say that it now has a fresh engine and a few other updates.  It is utterly dependable, but will leave you feeling abused after every session!  When possible, I usually grab the 8N Ford...now THAT is a fine old tractor!

Case and Colt are growing like garden weeds, Val has her "dream job", and I am staying home with the boys and renovating the house for now.  We are always busy, but making lots of memories along the way.  We put in a huge garden this year which I will cover in a future writing.  Deer season is looming over us, and already I have decided to sit out bow season due to time constraints.  I will be gun hunting this season with my polished stainless 4 5/8" Ruger New Vaquero chambered in 45 Colt.  It has beautiful burl wood grips and a Bisley hammer.....I guess I'd better get to work now!  

1 comment:

  1. So.... no 24 hour race at Rocky Hill? C'mon, Joel and Mike are riding solo, they could use a cheerleader and lap rabbit or two ;-)

    prrsss...

    ReplyDelete